Friday, May 7, 2010

The Drama of the Future!

Here's a question I wish I would've taken a little bit more serious.....What do you want to be when you grow up? When you're a kid this question is asked of you all the time and given that the world is still your oyster answers like "I either want to be president, an actress, a doctor or a Jazzercise teacher" are all totally acceptable answers. As you get a little older we are expected to narrow down these choices and eventually (and by eventually I mean by the end of college) have it figured out. So much pressure!

So what if you don't figure it out? Well that's the question I'm trying to answer. It seems so daunting to try and figure out the future. My life is passing me by and I still haven't found any kind of field I want to throw myself into.
(If only I could I find a career that involves getting paid to give people my opinions that would be perfect! I'm super good at that already and I really like it. If anyone knows of a job like that; PLEASE let me know!) Sure I have a lot of things I'm interested in: marketing, PR, public policy, buying, trend forecasting, sportscasting just to name a few, but I feel equally as interested in all of them. I'm generally an indecisive person but this is beyond indecisive. The stress of not knowing "what I want to be when I grow up" has begun to feel like a pre-pre-mid life crisis.
So I thought maybe I should revisit the options of my youth...


I'm totally down to be President but besides the fact that I'm unsure I could handle the pressure of leading the free world not to mention the fact I have a feeling my past would get in the way....damn skeletons! All those fun times in High School would come back to bite me!

So maybe I should look into acting. I could be an actress, I do have a flair for the dramatic! However the best thing about being an actress would be to win a Oscar and since I've already held an Oscar I guess I can retire before I've even started...?

Alright, next on the list is becoming a doctor! Um...I don't think I could be a doctor now. I basically failed High School chemistry so I'm not really off to a good start. And I wouldn't graduate and be ready to be an actual doctor until I was like 150 years old! BUT I could be an actress who plays a doctor on TV! That would sort of be like killing 2 birds with 1 stone, right? Too bad George Clooney isn't still on ER...oh and that ER isn't a show anymore.


Well that leaves Jazzercise! It's really too bad there's no more Jazzercise anymore because I would love to do that. The outfits alone are to die for! I LOVED my mom's Jazzercise teacher so much I think I went as her for Halloween once. Today I'd have to become either a yogi or a pilates instructor or I guess I could teach stripper aerobics. None of those options sound that great. I don't think kids want to be a yoga instructor for Halloween as the outfit is boring; and if a child has the opportunity to see what a stripper instructor is wearing then we have so many other problems!

I guess I really just need to remember how happy I was as a little girl with all the options I had in front of me. Life was still an adventure and the unknown wasn't as scary as it seems to be today. The future was something to be excited about not something to be stressed over. I know I will find my path in life, my journey might longer than I want it to be, but I have to remember that's ok!

1 comment: